Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

7 9 Socratic Seminar

The Socratic Seminar is something I've heard my colleagues talk about but I did not know or understand. So I was glad to have a chance to participate in it.  I like the idea a lot and can see places where it would work well in a First-Year Writing class.  We could do it to unpack a difficult essay we're reading . . . I also wonder if I could adapt it somehow and use it to comment on students' writing? Not sure how/if that would work . . . but I am just thinking on paper here and want to mention now so I don't forget about it.

I am writing this late -- it is the post that was due on Tuesday but I had to rush out and be in my life.  Cousins in town for one night only --- home late and too tired to bloggggggg last night.

I also loved the writing about lit that Lil led us through. The body biography assignment about "Envy" (Bebe Moore Campbell) was really an insightful assignment for me.  It complicated the kind of easy usual group work of just "illustrating" key points from a story. It also was hard for me to equate body parts/places with ideas/actions from the text.   Working in groups to determine what we included on our illustration called for   collaboration and negotiation.

  

2 comments:

  1. I loved the "Envy" activity as well. I was just thinking as I was reading your blog...what if we illustrated ourselves and then wrote about it? How cool would that be? What would your symbols be? Your quotes? What would your head and heart say? Just curious...Hope you had a blast with your cousins.

    ReplyDelete