Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tues., 7/2 SI Oral History & Writing Group

Now I know how my students feel when I ask them to videotape themselves for their auto-ethnographies.  I felt inarticulate and unoriginal in my videotaped oral history.  It is also possible I'm being too hard on myself . . . but it was cool to hear what Sarah and Kendra had to say about themselves. Our group talked a lot about how we define "writer" -- we have different ideas about what it means to self-identify as a writer.  I think anyone who writes is a writer--but I do think that our own definitions are somehow compromised by cultural definitions and expectations.  I mean, if you tell someone you are a writer the first question they ask you is what you've had published. How "the world" defines a writer and how those of us who write in various genres, either regularly or occasionally, define a writer are not necessarily the same.

The writing group experience was so good! We have a great group but I feel bad that two of our group members did not have time to share:  Jashonai and Meredith.  We need to be better time managers.  I kind of looked to Sally to kick it off since she is Madame SI but I could have spoken up myself and gotten the ball rolling. On the other hand, the kind of chit chat our group engaged in while we were eating helps to build community---so you don't necessarily want to shut it down.  Regardless, though, what we need to do is take the time we have available and evenly divide it among the group members so that everyone has time.  Also, I wish we had written down our reactions.  Maybe we can do that next time.

Finally, I want to comment about the feedback I got about my book. It was the best thing I could have heard.  If I had held up a card that read, "Please say this" it could not have been better!!!  My group said that that they can really hear Zippy's "voice."  This is great.  I'm trying to write from a 12-year-old's point of view and I really need to know if it's working. I need my readers to buy into these journal entries--they have to ring true.  So I was so glad to hear that this entry works!! Zippy has a voice, and it's authentic!!!          

5 comments:

  1. I was particularly glad (not the right word) to read your paragraph about our writing group because I had similar feelings. The conversation's off-taskness was so genuine, insightful, relevant to the reading and writing field, and interesting. It absolutely helped build community and I'm always willing to expense afew classroom days during the school year to do the same. We will come back Wed. more purposeful for Meredith and Jashonai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was relieved to hear writing from, what I would consider, true writers, literates, and role models for me at our first meeting! I'm going to adjust what I had written because I didn't realize how much I need to find my creativity. I spend so much time in grad school reflecting, reflecting, reflecting, which shows growth, but I'm missing my opportunity to be creative and dive into some fiction writing(?).
    I didn't want my literature history lesson to stop! That was my favorite moment from our meeting! I could read and watch biographies and controversial histories for hours. Maybe this will spark some writing?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith, I'm so glad you enjoyed our writing group time!! And I hope that you find a way to do some of your own writing (and forget all of the grammar rules)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will do better with our time next time. I think it's good to talk and get to know each other before we launch into reading so we feel more comfortable. I am a writer and I have published a couple of things, but not nearly enough to earn the title in the opinion of some. I see myself as a writer all the time and that's what matters most--our own takes on our abilities. So--resolution--careful listening friends will listen next time to reading and make thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete