Total Pageviews

Monday, July 1, 2013

Thoughts about Summer Institute Orientation

Energy. Excitement. Engagement. Those are my "Three E's" about Orientation. The energy in the room was palpable. Lots of teachers who have lots to say. I am looking forward to learning from them. I really need this time to get focused on my teaching again, after working in Admin for 4 years. (I can't believe I did that job for so long.) I know that my classes suffered --- it's inevitable, I think, when your head is so focused on administrative day-to-day. But now I'm shifting back into what I love to do . . . teach. And I cannot wait until the Fall. I'm looking forward to revamping my teacherly identity. What excited me about SI is my research focus, which is on Revision. It is no secret that I am ambivalent (that's putting it nicely) about revision. I hate it. I don't think our students really have time to do it. By that I mean in a semester we don't have the luxury of time to set a piece of writing aside and go back into it later. Maybe the issue for me is how I am defining revision? Maybe I am thinking about it too narrowly?

No comments:

Post a Comment