Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Monday, July 1 SI. Writer's Timeline, Inquiry Question "Yes, And," & Murray Cards.


I loved doing the writer's timeline!
   This is part of mine.  What I noticed after I drew this is how I've really written all of my life--since the age of 6--and how much validation I've received. Not that this is why I write--not at all. But I've really been identified as "The Writer" so often that it's just part of who I am.  I think that's why it's was so hard for me when I wasn't writing.  I am just so thankful for Jan Rieman,who was the one who spoke the truth to me and told me to start writing again.  (Not sure why I needed to be "told" but I did.)   There is someting, though, about being seen and heard as a writer.  I don't write just for myself--I want that audience.  Some people write and never show what they've written to others--I cannot imagine doing that.  I think from a very early age I became used to sharing my writing so that it's just part of my writing process now.
* * *
Also want to talk about how exciting it was to see my inquiry question as one that was chosen by a group to work on.  I have not had time to unpack what they said, but I will make notes on it today (before it's erased.) 
 
As I quickly look over their comments, I wonder if I'm not already doing some revision work--just not calling it by that name?  This is definitely an issue for me and I want to continue to think about it. 
***
Murray Cards
OK: this was a really cool thing to do.  You start to detail and write about whatever you like, going deeper with each card.  I wrote about my Kindertransport novel, of course.  When we were being coached through each card by Lil, at one point I thought, "I don't have anything else to say."  Then, BAM!!!!! I absolutely wrote down two fantastic ideas for the book. Here's what I wrote on card 4 (purple), when we were to change the POV: "I can have Olive write about the time Zippy comes to breakfast wearing her Jewish star on a sweater. That could evoke Olive's hatred of the Nazis--she can write about that.  Could also have Olive reflect on Zippy's reticence to enter or a shop or go to the cinema.  Zippy can educate Olive on the Nuremburg and other laws that denied rights to Jews."  The other idea I got was to have the English people try to Anglecize Zippy's name.  Her name is Tzipporah, and her nickname in Germany is Zippy.  Maybe they call her Tiffany? 
Love, love, love SI!!!
That's it for now.     

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad we chose your revision topic as well! There was so much to talk about and I truly hope it helpful for you. I totally agree about the Murray cards. I felt flustered every time we had to write again. However, I would just readjust my lens and focus deeply on a topic within the original topic. Very cool indeed! PS. I LOVED your timeline. Beautiful drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I forgot to tell you how much I LOVE Zippy! I would love to find out where you go next with her. Thanks for sharing your cozy office space and the donuts Aunt Tonya!

    ReplyDelete