Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 18, 2013

7/11 Heroes aren't Hard to Find in SI


I am loving SI.  May I just pause a moment and state this publically?  As my friend Jan often says, "My brain is full."  My brain is full . . . and it does not stop working.  Even when I go to sleep at night.  I really liked what Kim Keith did with the Heroes Demo: and her emphasis on exposing students to more than one story.  I did want to see some heroes, though, who were women.  So I was a wee bit disappointed that there were no Power Puff Girls or no Wonder Woman.  Hey---even the highly sexualized Charlie's Angels from the 70s!  (Well, maybe not them.)

Ben's demo with the one-sentence story was great.  I really loved some of my sentences. Here are some favorites: 

"Mushrooms aren't just for eating," exclaimed Wanda.
Feeling clammy, Clem the oyster burped up a pearl.
Sexting was how Anna got through the night.
The spider coursed down the drain, spinning and twirling in the rushing water. 

I also loved the "Bad Writing" exercise! 

1 comment: