Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

7/10 SI: "Marks" and Technology and Technology

This is a blog in two parts.

Part I:  "Marks" by Linda Pastan

"Marks"

My husband gives me an A
for last night's supper,
an incomplete for my ironing,
a B plus in bed.
My son says I'm average,
an average mother, but if
I put my mind to it
I could improve.
My daughter believes
in Pass/Fail and tells me
I pass.  Wait 'til they learn
I'm dropping out.


First, why are women constantly assessed by everyone in their lives?  We are or are not good mothers, wives, daughters, sisters, grandmothers.  We are or are not good drivers, dressers, dessert makers.  We are or are not too thin, too fat, too cranky, too bitchy, too silly, too straight-laced, too wild.  Are men judged like this?  Are they?  I just don't think so. (And I want to know what she did to get the "plus" in bed?)

The other thing this poem raises for me is the way my students must feel.  My students have five or six evaluaters -- and all of us are valuing different things.  It's very likely that my students feel overwhelmed too and just want to quit. DON'T QUIT!!!

Part II: Technology Demo from Ashley

I could have talked all day about Ashley's demo on technology and its effects on society.  In my daybook, I explored ideas about alienation and loneliness as they connect (no pun intended) to technology.  I agree with something that Nicholas Dearmas said today, about how everyone wants to think that their generation is the most . . . whatever (fill in the blank). While we may think our generation is alienated due to an over- dependence on technology, consider that  Eliot's The Wasteland, written in 1922, is all about alienation.  And think how untechnological the world was in the 20s, especially compared to now. Alienation and loneliness are a central aspect of the human experience and that those very feelings are what drive us to do all sorts of things in an effort to avoid the abyss. . . so we engage in communities, we marry, we have children, we do what we can to feel connected.  And before instant chat and Facebook we wrote letters, we visited people for weeks at a time, we belonged to churches and other social communities.

I think of my great-grandmother Wertz who lived on a farm in Saluda, S. C.  They had hundreds of acres and also ran a saw mill on their property.  There were 12 children in that family, all of whom worked the land along with the hired help.  They lived out in the middle of nowhere -- seeing folks when they attended Trinity Lutheran Church on Sundays -- and maybe on Wednesday evenings as well. But they certainly were alienated from society.  Now, they probably were not lonely because they had such a large family, and no doubt steady saw mill customers.  But my point here is that life before technology was not necessarily more connected or less lonely.      
  

10 comments:

  1. On his 94th birthday Pete Seeger said that the power of women and the internet were two things that would make the world better. Imagine that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOooooh I like that Sally ^^

    Now, Tonya. It is no wonder why you are writing a historical fiction novel. I love your stories. Your verbal ones, your written ones, your unintended ones, I love them all. What a great way to tie in your SC family with the saw mill. You're right! And it's important to keep that perspective.

    And you know what else? I'm realizing how CONNECTED these blogs and twitters, etc. are making me feel to my writing group. We grow closer during class, go home, grow closer via the internet, and I come into class feeling more connected to you all than I did at 3PM the day before. No alienation here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya, I want to respond to everything, but I will limit myself. I love that you are pushing against a cry to mourn (without contemplation) "the good ol' days." I agree that loneliness and alienation are part of the human experience. Perhaps technology highlights those feelings and emotions because they are projected more widely to more people, but I do not think we can blame technology completely.

    As a history nerd, I am constantly frustrated by the comments I hear from people claiming that the government is taking away freedom or the immigrants are taking over the country or the youth are corrupted. These are NOT new narratives, people! The government and immigrants and youth have been a constant "thorn" in the side of American society since its conception (and I mean that in a sarcastic way). People fought against the Alien and Sedition Acts in 1798; the Nativist party fought against the Irish and Chinese and Italians in the 19th and early 20th century; parents fought against Elvis and his perverse music in the 1950s. So what is my point? All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again (any Battlestar fans?). I think we struggle with the same wolves, simply dressed in different clothing (perhaps cow or goat?). I don't necessarily believe in "the good ol' days."

    P.S. Sorry for my rant! Thanks for giving me space to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the concept of loneliness is a relative one. How do you measure if we are more lonely today or in the past? I don't think this is something we can slap one rule on and determine the problem solved. It's definitely an interesting thought that now you can literally be surrounded by farmland and be connected. I had not really thought about the power the internet provides for the sick, elderly, or isolated until today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so funny that you wondered about the +, because I wondered about her not getting an A. That would have definitely caused him to have some of his own lonely nights! As for the isolation piece, I agree totally. We could be in a loving family or in at a party thrown for us and still feel lonely. I guess that we are cyclical creatures with changing emotions in which we must navigate. I wonder how your grandma navigated her world? I worry about our girls as well and hope that my own daughter can create her own definition of what it means to be a wonderful woman and give herself an A. It's hard out here for a woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Women are assessed, Tonya. We get the short end of the stick, for sure. Just consider sitcoms on TV, the husband if a fat, easily-beguiled slob, and the wife is incredibly hot with all the brains who doesn't work. What is this teaching our young girls?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I'm thinking about the different technologies that your family was using at the saw mill and on the farm (much like my grandmother and my uncle who ran a farm and a sawmill) and there were trucks, and saws, and tools of all kinds--really interesting stuff that would keep this group connected to the land and each other because those tasks had to be performed in special order--and everyone would show up for lunch at noon together. So this technology did a different kind of work, connecting and disconnecting, in the same way that digital technologies are working on us now. At least, that's what I'm thinking right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, we are truly more connected in a way, but I so miss the good ole family "feelin." I think we move away from the urgency of being in the same place. I talk to my girlfriend on the phone all the time, but while I have been staying with her, it feels like the good old college days and nothing can replace that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, there is nothing like a face to face conversation with someone you enjoy. I totally agree that you miss a bit of something when you communicate through technology!

      Delete
  9. Tonya, thanks for sharing this piece of history. I really love the feelings you talk about. And I know about those from my life right now in the midst of swirling technology, sometimes that technology does cool things for building community connections, sometimes it's not really part of it. I mean email, google calendars and a facebook group organize shared childcare in my community of friends. And we also camp for long weekends, with pretty primitive technology. I don't know. I'm not describing the feeling near as eloquently as you are... but I knew it when I read it.

    ReplyDelete